Trouble w/ mk1 calibration/printing - NEED TECH SUPPORT PLEASE

Arnold, thanks for helping. I wouldn’t have a clue how to use it but am willing to try. I have no idea what is wrong with the printer. It would be helpful to connect with someone who uses macOS. The macOS version of Up Studio has no ability to create material profiles. I don’t know if the problem is hardware or software or configuration. But it has certainly worked well in the past before Up Studio.

That gcode you’ll feed into UP Studio, it has a different feed rate (to verify what Jason said about over extrusion). I use UP Studio on my Mac mini, I have two profiles that I imported from my Windows 10 MatDef (materials definition) part of UP Studio for Windows. I have two profiles for a filament that wants a 195C and a filament that needs 220C. I can give you both too. Just let me know.

@Arnold OK, I suspected you were Arnold from FB. I moved here due to the number of off-topic posts on FB.

I primarily use 0.4mm nozzle and suspect my PLA prefers about 220C.

BTW, where is the option to feed gcode into UP Studio, I’ve never seen it? What version of Up Studio are you using, please?

But I do strongly suspect something is damaged with my printer after the failure a few weeks ago. The new extruder and nozzles have made no improvement.

Thanks!

Yes, same guy in Facebook group. My primary PLA brand is PolySmart from China, that’s the one happy with 195C. When I tried another filament (supposedly from Japan or the seller is bullshitting me) it immediately clogged. I tried the default Tiertime PLA at 210 and still won’t work, until it settled down to 220C. Guess what, bloody thing will also clog at 230C!

You load a gcode using the [+] in UP Studio. I use 2.6.x on both Windows and MacOS.

Yes, we’d like to narrow down what’s causing this problem. I would like to eliminate the possibility of corrupted materials definition file in your UP Studio.

Great! I’d appreciate you helping me give it a try to nail down the trouble. As you well know, ~I~ didn’t create the materials definitions and I am pretty much stuck with them. Back in the old days, I used the Cetus3D app. Everything just worked, period.

Alright, I’m at the office already and the gcode is in my Mac at home, it was sliced in Cura 3.6 with Cura4Cetus phyton code.

For the meantime, here’s the two material definition files you can import into you UPStudio for Mac.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AihjZVQSwnOhlmlnILdl3zGPqhT3

Once I’ve imported these, will they work with 0.4mm nozzle or should I swap to 0.2mm to try?

BTW, Thanks!

Oops, sorry forgot to mention that 0.2, 0.4, and 0.6 nozzles are all supported. :wink:

1 Like

@Arnold Results using your generic PLA 220C def, a 0.4mm nozzle and genuine TT PLA are identical to the poor quality prints I have been having. I have no idea what else we can try. I have removed and installed Up Studio numerous times.

What’s weird here is that it looks over extruded and yet, there’s a knocking sound!

What if you revert back to Cetus 3D from the Apple Store?

I don’t think it is available. It is there for iOS.

I was using that on my MacOS before. I found it in the Store.

You are correct, I have re-installed and will try. TT is recommending I replace extruder, extruder cable, and mainboard. Sounds expensive, perhaps more than a new printer. I’ve already spent over $90 trying to track this down.

Cable? I don’t think so. What’s creeping in my mind are these two - 1) Stepper motor 2) stepper motor driver (which is in the mainboard). If the latter, sergey published a design to use Trinamic TMC 2208 drivers instead of the on board drivers and that’s cheap. Of course, it’s a DIY solution which you can check out here - https://github.com/Sergey-77/Cetus3d_TMC2208

I have all the parts and made a PCB, I’m just lazy putting it in because mine works.

@Arnold The extruder is only about a week old. I really don’t know what to expect at this point. I don’t feel that TT have done much to support me. Feel like I am pulling teeth to get help from them. Could be time for SLA.

The extruder kit doesn’t include the stepper motor right? It’s just the heat block and nozzle assembly and bracket.

My desire for SLA has been on and off. I almost backed the Longer Orange 30 but had a change of heart since I already backed the Snapmaker 2, more for CNC and Laser rather than 3D printer as it has its own issues with clogs, which every FDM printer does even those expensive extruders that claim no clogs.

@arnold I don’t know what the extruder kit includes. TT hasn’t provided any assistance with what I need to order. I would have expected URL or part numbers or something. I’m completely on my own to guess which items they are suggesting. I thought this thread was clear enough that I had already replaced the extruder, but apparently not. There was no suggestion that perhaps the unit I received could have an issue. They say “we can provide a coupon for you buy the parts”, but then they don’t provide any coupon. I don’t know what to think. It appears there is a line of unhappy TT customers and I think I can understand some of the possible reasons. Unless things change, I suppose I am one of those customers. I don’t understand how some YT channels have such praise. The printer was good at one time, and now it sucks and I don’t know how to resolve. I guess I either need to throw more money and hope for the best or just give up. I certainly expected better support from the company.

Is this what you got?

No I purchased the entire unit including the stepper and fan and bracket, etc. $70 something bucks.

The other thing that really pisses me off is that they state US stock, but then they are actually quick shipped from China. It takes about 10+ days. I don’t appreciate being yanked. I’ve been dealing with the issue and been without the printer for nearly a month.

This one?

https://shop.tiertime.com/product/cetus-extruder-unit-v1-china-stock/

So that’s a new stepper motor, we rule it out.