UP Studio Software

Hello Tiertime team @Jason-TT.

A question on UP Studio 2.6.34, Windows.
I’ve noticed this has been redacted from your downloads page. Is this to do with insufficient ROMs being available for older printer models or related to it not actually working properly still with older printers that did receive their ROM update?
What printer models have new ROM updates available for use with the new v2.6 software? My UP Plus 2 with it’s original CPU doesn’t work properly with v2.6.34.

Has v2.6.34 been deemed unsafe perhaps with these older printers damaging the CPUs and ROM on them? If this is the case you need to tell us. A lot of people have noticed that the latest v2.6.34 is supposed to work with all printer models, when it doesn’t, still.

I’m just wondering what’s happening with UP Studio because it’s a mess at the moment with the MacOS version being left in the dark with no material editor for quite some time now.
The problem at the moment is I think the team is trying to fix big software problems whilst also managing the upkeep of UP Studio for MacOS, Linux, and Windows, as well now also making Catfish a usable product for us, and if not more products and platforms I don’t know about that you’re trying to support.

I don’t know how big the software team is but I don’t think it’s that big at all seeing the problems at the moment and time taken to fix some problems and frequency between updates.

All I ask is for a statement and timeline for when we can expect UP Studio to work with all printers like it used to, and when MacOS UP Studio will be at the same feature rich state as the Windows version.

Thanks Tiertime team for your continual efforts and attempts to improve things.
I think at this time, it’s important to prioritize UP Studio for Windows and get that working with all printer models, then bring MacOS UP Studio to the same state. We miss the material editor on Mac and in general the ability to use all UP Printers with the latest software version.

I’m doing some testing now of the recently released UP Studio V2.6.4 on my Plus 2.

So far it’s still got the same issue from day one with the original V2.6.0 release where it stops dead in the middle of a print, typically on its first layer above the raft.
I’m printing using the standard Tiertime ABS+ material profile selected, not one I’ve created. I also let the machine sit initialised, plugged in with USB connected for an hour because apparently it pulls down cloud material info, and I also thought it might perform a ROM update in that time space.

@Jason-TT what’s the story here with issues on older machine models? What do the software developers know on ROM updates at the moment?

Please send me (jasonwu@tiertime.net) the serial number of your up plus 2, we will check.

Some people have indicated that the new material editor in UP Studio V2.6.43 is challenging to use. I have created a quick step-by-step for those that are confused and want to be able to create material profiles themselves.

UP Studio V2.6.4 Material Editor:

1.) Open UP Studio, make sure your printer is initialised and in the ready state. Open the Maintenance tab on the left, select the material type box, click ‘Customized’. Click the ‘Edit’ button on the right, as indicated below.

2.)
Clicking edit should bring up the new material editor interface.
Start by selecting the active material at the top left.

3.)
Choose one of the four pre-made Tiertime materials as the foundation for your new custom material.
Depending on what 3rd party material you’ve purchased, use one of the Tiertime materials as a starting point. E.g. Matterhackers Pro ABS (ABS+) click the ‘+’ button next to the material.

4.)
This should have created a new profile based on the one you selected.
Step 1, rename your material so you can identify it in the material editor and UP Studio.
Step 2, enter your print temperature that your material extrudes at, platform temperature, filament diameter and density if you want more accurate material estimate readouts. If your material data sheet specifies shrinkage rates, you can enter these too here. If you don’t know them, leave at the default generate values.

5.)
Step 1, in the box that says ‘3D Printer’ at the top, select your printer model, then the nozzle diameter, layer height, and the ‘Quality’ (speed) optionally.
Step 2, edit the values indicated in the red boxes below for your new material. Note that these will vary by material and shouldn’t be copied directly for any material.
Step 3, I recommend changing the ‘Overlap’ value to a minimum of 40%, this ensures that the infill on harder plastic materials such as ABS and PLA, overlaps correctly with the perimeter/shell closing up gaps between the two.
There are lots of setting in here. Don’t touch the ones you don’t understand.

6.)
Once you’ve finished editing your material setting values for each printer model, nozzle diameter, and layer height, click up on the icon at the top right with three horizontal bars, and click ‘Save’. If you don’t do this, your changes will not be saved. You must save your changes every time you make any alteration to any material; it will not autosave.

Filament Diameter:
It is critical to set the correct filament diameter. The default 1.70mm is extremely unlikely to be what your filament diameter is. Most filament on the market is 1.75mm; it is critical to enter this value or an average diameter measured with digital callipers to ensure your extruder feeds material reliably and that your parts are as dimensionally accurate as possible.

**Peel Ratio **
Adjust ‘Peel Ratio’ value for ease of raft and support peel from the part. 0% = Effortless removal, 100% = Impossible removable

Overlap:
This changes the air gap between the top, bottom and infill layers between the perimeter shell.
If you see gaps between the perimeter shell like below, you can change the overlap percentage value to something greater. I recommend a minimum of 40% for pretty much all materials.

(Image sourced from Simplify3D)

Offset Times:
Finally, we are now able to change the number of printed shells/perimeters/outlines.
By default, this value is 1. Meaning: It will print one outline for the first part layer, and one for the very last top layer. As soon as the first layer is completed, it will do two outlines from henceforth on the top and bottom layers and infill. So in effect, it already in some way is printing two outlines, but not all the time. Increasing this value effectively means there will always be at least 2 outlines.
Note that UP Studio generates infill by default with a perimeter shell alongside the primary outline.
1 Outlines

2 Outlines

Retraction:
Retraction is the amount of material retracted by the extruder for every travel move to avoid oozing and stringing.
Where the value in the material editor is 25mm as per the example above, this actually corresponds to 2.5mm not 25.0mm of actual retraction length.

There are a lot of interesting settings to play fiddle within the material editor :slight_smile:
Thank you Tiertime for improving the material editor and the new additions to the editor.

5 Likes

I have also found the Material Editor impossible to operate and am delighted to have finally stumbled across this explanation.
Overlap: I have long found the gaps around the edges of prints a problem! You recommend setting this to at least 40%, yet it is only 20% on the pre-installed Tiertime filament profiles (which don’t allow editing). How can the overlap be changed for these?

1 Like

Yep overlap is an issue that can now be fixed easily. My overlap value is at 42% for all materials now and this is working very nicely.

Because we can directly edit the Tietime material profiles, we have to make a copy of them:
Choose the Tiertime material you want to edit in the editor, then select the ‘+’ next to the Tiertime material in the material selection menu (e.g Tiertime PLA press the ‘+’ button next to it). This will create a duplicated copy of the material which you can edit.

Excellent guide! Sadly it still exceeds the speed of which my Up Mini 2 can move without loosing steps, so while waiting for the next 2.6 or new catfish I’m confined to 2.5.

1 Like

Hello, I have just purchased a ‘NEW’ UP Plus 2 from HobbyKing UK.
The instructions provided say download software - link is dead!
Found this site and downloaded latest trust software for windows UP Studio Version 2.6.49.627​
Also installed UP Studio 3.0 Beta (Code Name: Soda)
This seems to know all printers except the Up Plus 2!

Neither of these mention or recognise my printer when plugged in via USB.
I am using latest Windows 10, it reacts with a ‘ding’ to usb when I plug in.
Do I need to download drive as recommended for old versions of windows?
Can I download a version of the software which will match the setup as seen on YouTube using usb.
I have sent a query to Tiertime support but only an acknowledgement so far.
Need to know if I should send this printer back and get a refund seems to be obsolete and shouldn’t still be on sale!

Model is Up Plus 2 3DP - 14 - 4D
Can provide S/N but not sure if I should on a public forum?
Any help appreciate that will get me started would be much appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation,