Tiertime's Next Gen Slicer - UP Studio 3

Tried out the Gcode an nothing happened at the end print just stays at 99% sitting at hte corner of the cube with the hotend still running at full temp resulting in the stop point melting an damaging the whole part unless I manually hit pause to get it to raise away from the print.

Come on Tiertime respond already this is a firehazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone’s house burns down because our printers don’t shut down at the end of the print!.

one of my prints did the same, the other didn’t; haven’t had time to test more

Interesting. I think the scripts section isn’t supported at the moment then on Tiertime printers.

I’ve been printing exclusively with my Box+ and seems to work fine no problems.

I’d try other prints but I’m trying to first get things calibrated with the bondtech but with the current behavior with either a benchy or a calibration cube I can’t comfortably use catfish…

Anyone know… what version of UP studio was the verison that didn’t have the infill bug that a plague right now?

I think the last update wasn’t so bad. Try v2.5 and if that doesn’t help too much, try v2.4.

Most of the issues we see from print quality come from this latest version wherein v2.6 they changed the slicing methodology as per in Catfish.

Still getting used to how catfish works. Can’t use wand at all. Error messages in Windows 10 usb or wifi and on Linux I can connect via wifi but when it sends the .tsk file it starts sending then fails. Can’t connect to usb in Linux at all.

I was however able to use a custom material profile. What I gathered is up studio saves the material profiles directly on the printer. I was able to connect with wand in Linux and was able to get the material id number from my custom material and then changed it to that number in catfish. Made sure the profile name matched what was in up studio. Made sure the filament name in material lib and extruder tab had the same profile name as well. Then I was able to successfully send the .tsk file in up studio to print with my custom material profile. Very hacky way to do it, but it worked.

If I can get wand to work then maybe that weird issue goes away.

Catfish has a big learning curve compared to other slicers.

I think the gcode preview is hard to see. I prefer the real previews better like how prusaslicer, cura and simplify3d show gcode previews.

I have emailed tiertime support as well as jason. about the want issue in windows. Waiting to hear back.

Is there a linux driver so I can connect via usb? wifi never stays connected long.

Did another print, and the estimate time is no longer accurate, combined with the printhead remaining on and potentially touching the printed part this is no good. Is there something i need to add to the UpMini2 setup in Catfish to finish the print like UpStudio does, turn of heaters and lower the platform?

Wand doesn’t work with computer connected to printer with Wifi, and to internet with bluetooth tether.04

C:\Users\nnnnnn>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-NNNNNNN
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : nn-nn-00-DD-nn-nn
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-E6-51-8A-28

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.0.156(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 15:26:11
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 7, 2019 03:27:56
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.0.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.0.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.44.191(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 14:59:57
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 17:06:31
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.44.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.44.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.44.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

printer was on 10.10.0.0/24 network, and phone/internet on 192.168.44.0/24

Rafts stuck too well to ABS+ print, completely unremovable.

is this the setting to tune for easier to remove rafts?

Leave the bottom extrusion factor at 0.8. In the print tab adjust the Bond Strength value in there.

There are a few settings that change how the raft bonds to the part. I was trying to increase the bottom extrusion factor to 90%, but obviously had to decrease the Bond Strength value which ended up making worse parts on the bottom because I’m pretty sure it affects the bottom layers line width, and not the air gap between the raft and base like most would have imagined.

1 Like

From the blog it seemed the bottom extrusion setting was the way to control it, maybe I need to read that again, but I’ll try your suggestion, thank you!

In Catfish there’s quite a few little things you can play with to adjust how the raft bonds to the part. Unlike all 3rd party slicers, you can’t change the air gap between the part and raft, so we’re left with two other variables:

• Extrusion factor/scale
  • Bond strength

Most slicers process the bottom layer of parts on rafts with about 80-90% flow rate including Simplify3D. Others I have seen maintain a 100% flow rate and simply adjust the air gap between the raft and bottom layer of the part.
In Catfish, we can only adjust those two variables to really have an impact on raft-part adhesion.

The ‘Bond Strength’ variable is interesting. I think it’s directly related to the line width of the bottom layers. So if it were at 100%, the line width maybe 0.4mm or in accordance with the other line width settings for the print.
Something I have noticed is that when creating a custom material both in Catfish and Studio based off the TPU base material, is that the air gap is increased between raft and part layer. This is because TPU/TPE bonds too well to to the raft and support even with their ‘Bond Strength’ variable turned all the way down, so thus they increased the air gap so they could then also maintain a higher ‘Bond Strength’ value to get the underside of parts looking cleaner.

So if I were you, I would keep your bottom extrusion factor at 80% for ABS and PLA and adjust the ‘Bond Strength’ value to suit, just like in UP Studio.

So far I’ve tuned mine so I can have a slightly increased flow rate at 85% so I get slightly better underside quality without too much detrimental effect to the line width and quality of the underside for ABS.

1 Like

Trying this now, thanks for the through information!

Will be seeing if there is a difference printing the .tsk file through Wand or UpStudio when it comes to rafts. Also added M109 S0 and G0 Z0 to the print end script to try and finish gracefully. There is definitively something fishy with the part placement when printing a .tsk file through UpStudio 2.6, maybe thats why the UpMini2 was “unsupported” by UpStudio 2.6.

@bjorn How I have mostly resolved the print and raft adhesion issues is by turning on the support setting with 4 layers. This seemed to put a solid platform on top of the raft before laying down the part, similarly to UPStudio style raft.

1 Like

Just to be clear, you do config → slice → support → layers = 4?

Gonna give this a try after seeing if UpStudio 2.6 has the x axis mirrored or just ¤"#% up for the UpMini 2. :slight_smile:

@bjorn You have to leave the raft layers at 4 at the moment from what I’ve seen otherwise is mixes it either into the bottom layer of the part prematurely or does some layers of the raft out of sequence. Default should have been four.

Printing the sliced part through the Wand app or through UP Studio should make no difference at all. They are both acting as a communicator for the printer to send an entirely premade file.

I’m pretty sure no Gcode works in the scripts section of Catfish yet, so don’t be surprised if you don’t notice anything.

I would download the latest version of Studio Tiertime released a few days ago. The new version supports all Tiertime printers by sending a ROM update to printers using old non-WiFi CPUs I believe.
They has also finally addressed the critical slicing issue we had where top layers and infill had gaps between the shell/perimeters. @JothamB will be pleased about this. :grinning:

1 Like

think i tried 3 but reverted back to 4. will have to verify.

it did not indeed.

print failed, prints outside the print platform
edit: g-code is included in the g-code output. unsure of .tsk output.
edit: it is not included or ignored in .tsk file.

think thats the one i’m using, and if they flashed the printer that could very well explain why it suddenly prints in the wrong location. or the x axis idler is broken, again. don’t have time to fiddle with it more, need to go have prints made elsewhere

this is what i asked for:

this is what i got:

Testing with smaller parts reviles Catfish does not honour positioning in slicer when printing.

Left part is printed as centered in Catfish. Right part is moved with mx 40 however the part is only moved about 20mm?! Printing larger parts still cause the part to print on top of the z height sensor causing god knows what damage to the machine. Print area is effectively reduced to 50x110x110mm.

After more testing it shows g-code from script settings is included in exported g-code, but not in exported .tsk file.

Yeah I’ve checked the Gcode and it does import codes in appropriate places, but with Tiertimes’ proprietary Task File language which is effectively stepper motor language or at least it used to be, they can only use a certain select number of Gcodes that can be converted to their language with a compiler. This is what they currently do when you run a Gcode file through UP Studio.

The list of supported Gcode listings is here, I expect this list will stay the same for the Gcode that can be put in to Catfish by the time they support this feature properly for TSK file export.

@bjorn The placement of the print on the machine is not determined by Catfish. You could arrange the part in Catfish in the top or bottom corners and it won’t matter.
Take the TSK file, stick it into UP Studio, and arrange the placement of the parts there. It’s effectively the same as importing a normal STL file and arranging it there. I only use UP Studio at the moment with Catfish so I can arrange parts and it’s more stable as well.

Having said that, I’m not sure what the placement is for sliced TSK files when you run them through the Wand app, so maybe that’s causing the problem for you. Try run it through UP Studio and click the auto place button.