Tiertime's Next Gen Slicer - UP Studio 3

The Catfish focus on speed, configurability, flexibility, reliability and multi-platform. UI isn’t on the list.

cool, I’ll check back in two weeks and give that a try. will new version require new registration? And will the communication be limited to usb or network, or both supported?

Both!

2 Likes

Awesome! Please provide us with more development updates. :grinning:

Also can you accept my registration code?

just in case, have you checked your spam filter?

There’s nothing there sadly. :cry:

The development team is updating Catfish user guide on this blog (daily update).

2 Likes
  1. :arrow_up::arrow_down::arrow_left::arrow_right: to move the view.

This feels a bit counter intuitive coming from a gaming background in a previous life. Pressing the left button in gaming convention moves your field of view to the left. In catfish it moves the object to the left, effectively moving the field of view to the right.

Its not wrong, but I would guess more people are used the controls moving their field of view, maybe.

@bjorn Do we want an “Invert-Y axis” option for those of us who came from flight sims? :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer the question: “Why would I like to see GCODE import support?”

I simply wanted to be able to import gcode. Catfish is a alpha stage product.

I just wanted to be able to import gcode. You already support GCODE on your other printers with UPStudio. Why can you not patch UPStudio with the gap issue, and fix GCODE importing. Then I wouldn’t have to spend time waiting for catfish to improve, you’d fix the gap issue for me overnight, I could use my preferred software and everyone is happy.

What if there was another issue with UPSTUDIO (like I recently had with certain files, but the files work other slicers like Cura, Simplify3D, Slic3r). Do I have to wait 9 months again for a fix to be done?

GCODE importing would allow me to switch to another slicer (and there have been case where I have needed to do that. I just get out another slicer, and keep working). From the beginning I asked for GCODE import to be fixed.

Furthermore:
Some projects like from 3Dlabprint.com provide gcode, or you must use simplify3d (which is much more powerful than catfish or upstudio) to configure the settings. Catfish looks like its heading in the right direction - but it takes time. Can you not fix gcode importing on UPStudio for the UP300 instead? Like we have asked for months?

1 Like

ok I see I will have to read the blog post to learn how to use catfish. Thanks for documenting it.

You can already import gcode from UP Studio. Since the software you mentioned are not designed to work with Tiertime products, the Gcode they generate may not be full supported. However I think there are many expereinced users shared their insight on this topic already.

UP300 and the latest Linux embedded printers cannot support Gcode for now, but this is on our list. I believe Catfish is flexible enough for most situations.

I’m trying to avoid using upstudio not use it on my other printers no way would I use your perimeter gap creating Upstudio gcode on my other machines.

With a custom profile like you previously provided for it should totally be possible, like what you have here, just expanded to work with UP300: UP Studio G-code Tutorial.pdf.zip (1.1 MB)

Yea I’m going to give Catfish a go later this coming weekend. Maybe with the documentation I can work out how to use it this time.

I need to calm down I’m just really angry how badly this issue has been handled. Right now I’m trying to print some parts for work tomorrow but upstudio wont’ connect to the printer. I’ve tried a few things but its just not working I’ve tried to print via a usb drive but can’t print more than one part at a time. (and the one part I did try to print, clogged the hotend). So now I’ve unclogged the hotend. Ready to print again. But now I have to wait for older version of upstudio to download (which hopefully will connect) and its just taking ages (why is it so slow at 20kb/s??) I’m just tired and frustrated man. Can’t this stuff just work well and reliably. Sorry for the bitch and moan but I’m just so fucking over it. So if your software had connected properly, this wouldn’t have happened. If your touchscreen program worked properly and could add multiple objects to print, this wouldn’t have happened, if your download server wasn’t on dailup connection, I wouldn’t be here instead of sleeping, waiting one hour for the download trying to get this working. You see why I’m frustrated?

Ok I’m just going to leave for a while. This is getting off topic but I hope you can see where I’m coming from.
EDIT: by the way, jason, the 32bit download link is broken for the older version of upstudio you might want to get that fixed.

@JothamB

Please don’t think GCODE works on other TT printers and it’s a quick port to make it compatible with the 300… I gave up using GCODE on my UPBOX and UPBOX+ machines after many many problems.

Also last time I looked the GCODE guide was still on the initial revision despite reporting multiple error in it to TT.

I’m still bitter at buying a S3D license on TT’s promise that GCODE was to be supported.

Anyway, the purpose of my rant was to show you’re not alone in your frustration, or in wishing that they’d just fix the SW we have and then worry about building something new. Studio was very unfinished when it was released, and now there’s another “Beta” application. At what time will an UP user have working, stable, released software out of the box?

Owen S.

1 Like

This very software is our effort in response to users’ request to have more control for print settings. However we cannot do everything all at once.

Hi Jason.

I appreciate that and respect that you are doing it. :grinning:

However:-
(a) It was October last year that we were introduced to the UP300. Since then there have been slicer problems. Long forum threads, no fixes and TT even blamed the raft for wall adhesion problems. :confounded:
(b) We were promised GCODE for the 300 at release. This turned out to be not true.
© We were promised 1KG spools, they never came.
(d) I was personally promised a test X5 machine (as we currently use a number of TT machines for small production runs of components in our manufacturing plant), but you guessed it, it never came.

I understand you can’t do “everything at once” but this has been nearly a year since you’ve taken people’s money for UP300 machines.

Upstudio doesn’t work properly and by what we read here you don’t have any intention of fixing it.

One day the machine “might” support GCODE but I’m finding it hard to believe that based on my experience of your last attempt at implementing GCODE and the fact that it has been missing for so long.

There is a new slicer “under development”. Great. That’s good to hear. But for those that bought when the machine was released they now have only one month of their warranty left and still no software…

Excuse the rant, but I’m fed up with constant disappointments from TT.

Owen S.

2 Likes

This is off topic but the 1 kg spool is available, you may ask your local reseller. We will also make it available on our online store when they are stocked.

For the issue for infill gap, we will update the parameter in UP Studio once we finish testing. Now you can use this new software if you really think this is a problem.

Promise you a X5? You may pm me, may be I can follow up for you?:smile:

Still waiting on the activation key for this so I can give this a try on my cetus though I’m trying to figure out how to move things around in the slicer as whenever I import a stl its way off the platform.
Although I am getting a error about platform file being missing for the cetus o.o
https://gyazo.com/38d95f9b5313378fc8a73098f63ac24f

and here is the picture that happens when I load something to slice in it and it being way off the platform.
https://gyazo.com/4df1a0ee59be0bc0add9d96c4a11080a

Side note how the heck do you determine extruder speed in this? I’ve got a bondtech extruder on my cetus and would like to get that calibrated a bit more as I only have slight under extrusion in UP Studio.
Also hoping with catfish I can get my printer to print NinjaFlex finally as I could never get UP to stop retracting.

1 Like

i think that file is just for graphical representation of the platform, which it has so not sure why it complains. either way, seems to be unimportant.

the other stuff you might find in the manual / blog
https://easyfastflex.wordpress.com

is this still on track btw? In any case enjoy the holiday!