ABS printing issues

I’ve been very careful about not getting particles contaminating the filament

Yesterday I got my 0.4mm nozzle out of the acetone bottle its been sitting in all week. It had some gunk at the bottom of the nozzle. Whether that was contamination, pigment particles that were too large, or carbon deposits, I managed to get it out by using a syringe and blasting water in and around it. I also had to get a toothbrush in the threaded end to carefully wipe it around to remove some stuff out. Cleaned with water once again. It looked like new in there so ok, back on the printer.

I’m very happy to say, its been 10hrs of printing with zero issues so far - even with tiertime filament, stock settings at 55c ambient internal temperature. Previously it was jamming on me at those elevated temperatures.

Brilliant!

If Tiertime can get their new slicer sorted, I’ll be a happy customer.

I’ve had bed slingers before to try use as ABS machines but the problem is always that at the top of the print chamber its 70c but at the bottom its around 45 in places - it needs a lot of insulation to get a even heat inside it. Using fans to get a even heat is difficult. Whereas with a Z axis that’s taken care of - the top where the printing is happening is always the warmest section.

Who knows maybe this will turn into the ultimate ABS printing machine I’ve been dreaming of :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll start a new thread about reverse engineering what all the wiring connections are.

Funny you should mention that. I’ve been sitting here with a DMM for the last three days, tracing everything from the extruder, gantry, etc, back through the ribbon cables to the controller. I was just messaging an EE friend of mine to see if he’d be willing to help me document it all in a real schematic instead of the mess that I have right now. Would be awesome if we could get the schematics from TT. I didn’t even think to ask, to see if it was possible, lol.

If you want some really easy free enough software to make a schematic checkout EasyEDA.com it can run in browser or as a application. I’ve been using it for a while and its pretty good.

I’ve started a thread about what I’ve worked out so far, rather low quality but better than nothing I suppose, please do add your findings: UP300 Controller replacement Thread

Hi, try the ABS filament from X3D. I have been printing with mostly X3D ABS (close to 100% of the time) and I love this filament. Just a bit more expensive than eSUN but I swear by it. Did not get excellent results with eSUN ABS.