UP MINI 2 - Raft separation problem (fused to part)

Used to be ok. Now cannot separate raft from the part (even very simple parts). Totally unreliable and rubbish.

Already tried:

• change nozzle, print bed
  • changed fan speed
  • nozzle temperature, print bed temperature
  • nozzle offset
  • easy to peel
  • many many more.

Does anyone have ‘good settings’ that “just works”? Also, which version of upstudio? I heard some later versions make raft removal very difficult. Please share so I can copy your settings.

I use all official components: UP ABS filament, perfboard.

Hi,
I have both Mini 2 and Mini 2 ES. I faced same problems like you. After long time I discovered the following way to avoid raft separation.

1. Before starting the printing move the air flow gauge to the minimum (pull it towards yo); this way temperature is increased and ensure good adherence.
  2. In print preview go to pause layer and select the 10th layer.
  3. Start printing.
  4. When printing arrived at 10th layer the printer will go on pause.
    5.Open front door and push the air flow gauge to maximum and continue printing.
    I am doing like this since last 2 years and have no problem at all.

Good luck

2 Likes

Hi, try this, founded on this forum:
"* Ensure Dense value is 4 or more. 3 usually works, but 4 always works; definitely don’t use 2 or 1!

Why does increasing the “dense” value make the raft easier to remove?
The Dense value controls what I call the interface layer; the material between the raft itself and the part. If this is too thin/value too low, then the part fuses with the raft."
Hope,that helps, it was ok for me.

I have tried everything and I have the real solution right here in my pocket. it took many tries to dial it in, but now, for me, it peels off so smoothly I could kiss it. Make a new material profile and copy these settings:

I’m getting high quality prints, that adhere to the bed while printing, and seperate from the raft without an issue (finally). The person who sold me the printer is even amazed. He had it for a while and just came to accept that seperating the rafts was going to take a hammer and chisel, and or a belt sander.

I’m on an UP mini 2 es btw. incase it matters

1 Like

Just curious where did you find the place to enter the settings? I got my Mini 2es just before Christmas but haven’t seen any pages like this one, any help gladly received.

clicking this will open a new window and in there you can duplicate one of their presets and edit it:

I’d recommend selecting the default from drop down here as it then cascades these settings down for all printers (I think)

then you are met with that screen where you can change settings :slight_smile:

Or you can import my current settings if you like, I have changed a couple things since I took the original screenshot. some speeds etc to try get even better raft adhesion to the perfboard
ABS Raft seperation.fmd (1.6 MB)

Hi SirLucian, thanks for this! I find that when I copy your settings into my printer, I’m able to create them as you showed in this threat (i.e. import your file into the customized part of the type material), however even when I’ve selected the ABS Test Raft, my printer still heats to like 278 degrees. I’m not sure how to stop it from heating up that high? Why isn’t it using the settings I’ve selected? Thanks!

in the configuration the raft setting is 280 degree. first the raft is printed. so it needs to heat to that temperature
grafik