Printing at Different Densities on the Same Part?

Is it possible in the Cetus environment to print different parts of a model at different densities?

I'm working on a spool holder reel that has a projecting male thread (24 mm o/d x 5 mm pitch) that needs more strength than the rest of the model, so I'd like to print it at (say) 99% density and the rest at a much lower density to save filament.

It's not possible to do this with the Cetus software.

I think your requirement is based upon a common fallacy that greater density is a requirement for extra strength, when that is far from the case. If it was all our structures would be built with solid shapes, but in the real world we use hollow shapes, I-beams, box-girders etc. because they are stronger than a solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NzDr1YAb8Q

Sadly, you won't be able to use some of the techniques mentioned.

Believe me Paul, the M24 x 5 mm pitch screw that I printed at 99% fill is FAR stronger than the one I printed at minimal fill to the extent that the minimal fill one broke hence the requirement !

I think there may be a sweet spot between 'minimal' and 99% !

I wouldn't expect a spool holder to really be exhibiting high stresses, and if it is, that may mean the design needs a rethink.

I think you should design your infill into the model, instead of asking for a slicer feature. It is because the infill distribution is very application specific, a slicer can never produce a satisfying result.

I don't really understand what you are saying here Jason. I make my 3D solid models under Fusion 360, export though Autodesk Print Studio as an STL solid model which I import into the Cetus application. The choice of densities ONLY happens within the Cetus application so how else do you set the print density ????????

Puzzled ??? - -Yes !!!

Jason is suggesting that you add some supporting structure as part of your model where you feel extra strength is required.

I believe that Simplify3D can adjust the infill percentage according to a selection of layers, so I don't agree with Jason's view of what a slicer can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcddlK36OVs

I suppose I'm being a tight wad and trying to avoid spending out on Simplify3D  :)

cmeyer 2017-5-26 15:54 edit

@pauland yes S3D can do it but I believe just based on which layer it's at. I think Jason's point was if you have a specific structural need, a slicer provides very limited flexibility. It may be enough for some cases, though.

@AndrewMawson you may be able to do something with cura, but it would likely involve some custom programming.

I belive that fonts matter as well! I like tropical fonts!