Multicolor Prints using Cetus3D and Palette+

The Palette+ is a filament splicer for making multicolor prints (up to four colors) with a single extruder. I bought one recently for use with a different printer, and decided to see if I could get it to work with my Cetus.

After a little back-and-forth, the makers of the Palette+ are adding support for TierTime printers with the next software release, due out next week.

IMG_1252.jpg

The picture shows a two-color test print on my MK1 Cetus. Using the Palette+ with the Cetus is definitely for the experienced user. You will need to slice your model using a third-party slicer (I used Slic3r, but Cura and Simplify3D are also supported). The Palette’s Chroma software then processes the gcode file and replaces the tool change commands with filament splice and purge commands. You then need to run the processed gcode on the Cetus and load the splice commands into the Palette. They use some clever tricks to keep the splices in sync with the printer.

All in all, it’s a somewhat Rube Goldbergish way to get multicolor prints, but it works a lot better than it has a right to.

Very nice !
What do you mean by : “They are are adding support for TierTime printers” ?

<p> @rcmz TierTime is the parent company of Up3d and Cetus3d I think.</p>

<p>Is that pei sheet? If so how does it work with the Cetus? Are you using heated bed? I been thinking about using a different surface on mine.</p>

<p>Testing my bolt-on Z-axis stiffener and various alignments to increase print-speed to 90mm/s using UPStudio. No raft, no support, no infill. Used .4mm nozzle at .3mm layer height, eSun PLA+, outline speed=90mm/s, optical mirror ontop of stock bed and green painters tape. Z height is actual height, no .5mm added when leveling bed and no z-offset. No bottom layers and no top layers between outline shape of object. Printbed linear motion assembly disconnected from the extrusion base attached to the z-axis assembly. I have a few more tiny enhancements to install to stiffen the y-axis and the x-axis allowing me to probably get to 120+ mm/s. Once I complete the current enhancements, this printer will print very accurate .2mm laser traces.</p><p>Printed at 90mm/s, stock MKII printer with a bolt-on  Z stiffener</p><p>cheers,</p><p>Brent</p><p> </p>