Leveling the Cetus bed

Hello!

Just checking in to see if anyone has had problems with an unlevel bed or if anyone has any tips. 

I know that the bed is supposed to be pre-leveled at the factory, but mine is pretty far off. It's at least 2mm off, but I think it could be as much as 5mm. I notice that there is a method for calibrating the platform, though I'm not certain if I'm using it correctly. Here is my configuration for the platform.

Region 3, 6, and 9, are much lower than 1, 4, and 7. I originally calibrated for point 5, but when I started printing, the head started scraping my bed pretty aggressively in the 1, 5, and 7 region. Thing is, the 2mm adjustment doesn't come near what it needs to be, but it's the outer limit.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Has anyone else had this problem? I've had to adjust the bed pretty heavily just to get it a bit closer.

</bump>

My build plate had a definite bow in it, which I didn't notice until the extruder nozzle started gouging lines in the coating.

Also when calibrating, I couldn't get the extruder down close enough to the plate, the software wouldn't allow it to go down any further. I had to lift the build plate with washers to get it high enough to be able to calibrate it. Just one of the problem's I've had with the build quality.

Have you thought about turning your buildplate 180deg?

[quote][size=2][color=#999999]billlagr post at 2017-2-3 02:36[/color][/size]
My build plate had a definite bow in it, which I didn't notice until the extruder nozzle started …[/quote]

I've seen several questions similar to this where the nozzle won't lower enough.  The Answer given is generally that you are using the wrong version of the software.  The UP software is not exactly the same as the Cetus version.  Hope this helps

[quote][size=2][color=#999999]scubamatt41 post at 2017-2-3 02:42[/color][/size]
Have you thought about turning your buildplate 180deg?[/quote]

Yes, I have turned the build plate 180 degrees, and the bow moves to the other side.

[quote][size=2][color=#999999]PMB01 post at 2017-2-3 04:13[/color][/size]
I've seen several questions similar to this where the nozzle won't lower enough. &nbsp;The …[/quote]

Both UP (1.5.1.1) and the Cetus software (1.0.1.1) stop at 185. Even if you manually enter a higher value, it changes back to 185, which still leaves a substantial gap between the extruder nozzle and the build plate (at least on my Cetus). There was no way that I could find in the software to move past this point, which meant that the only other option that I could see was to raise the plate - by putting washers underneath.

This is what I did to manually level my platform, no need to calibrate in the software. I put a piece of rubber between the platform and the carriage and used the screw to level the platform:

14709512_572269186308151_1940332766814011392_n.jpg

"bow moves to the other side"

If there's an actual bow to the plate it should be replaced. If the plate is straight (but too low), you can use some form of spacer between the linear rail and the plate as shown by @UP_3DWP.

Or (probably better, but I haven't looked to see how it might be done), fix the real problem by loosening the rail against the 'box', correcting the underlying alignment and tightening the rail down.