Cetus2 Mainboard Fried

After 16 hours of usage, my mainboard on recently received Cetus2 from kickstarter has fried. Arrived home to a print that halted halfway through, wouldn’t re-initialize as stepper motors wouldn’t actually move.

Removing the bottom panel revealed the issue, appears to be power delivery circuitry for the stepper drivers, would make sense considering most other functionality is operable save for any sign of life from steppers.

Somewhat humorously it thinks it’s completing initialization, calibration and prints - even going so far as to spew filament out.

I’ve removed the mainboard but difficult to determine what the component model number was specifically for home repair. I’m guessing tiertime would rather I not home repair, but unsure? Is there any wiring diagrams and is there a way to have a warrantied mainboard shipped to me?

Thanks

It’s fried exactly the same place as my motherboard and yours.:laughing:

1 Like

Wow that is amazing, I had to double take because I took other photos I hadn’t shared and it looks identical - even the burn marks.

Jason has reached out to my support ticket and said they will be shipping parts asap because I’ve also had a fan fail and initialization has never worked which he says is due to failing magnet.

1 Like

New mainboard in place and printer is operational again, I still have to manually bypass the initialization step by fooling the sensor with handwaving a magnet around it at the appropriate time.

2 Likes

You solved one problem. Good.
I also replaced the main board, but this time the Y motor is not moving. :sweat_smile:

Another nerd with the same error :sweat_smile:. Lasted 14 hours of printing.

May I ask where you ordered another motherboard, please?

1 Like

You can request here.
Submit a request – Tiertime Help Center

1 Like

Awesome…just got mine today. Can’t wait for parts to start failing!

Seriously, how the hell can I return this lemon of a printer for a refund?

Thank you. Waiting for my ticket to be answered.

The same issue, printing the dragon before I started to really use the pinter, and came back to find fans running, a blank screen, and a blue smoke smell.

seems that there is a major probelm with this version of the mainboard (and display one) - perhaps a retink is needed ?

could you explain the waving magnet?
ive just installed a replacement mainboard and it wont initialise

after waiting nearly a month to receive my 2nd replacement mainboard - another black version (thought the new ones were green in colour ?) - fitted it and lo and behold nothings changed - initilising the printer just gives a rotating circle on the screen and the motors not moving - took the back off to double check that the Z motor is still wired up (yes that looks fine) - pictures and complaint gone back off to Fannie & Jason at Tiertime - this time demanding a full refund for this clearly defective product.

Should also add that I’m off to get a triple bypass operation soon , so do not have the time, patience, strength, or money to deal with is defective paperweight anymore

FYI, that zip file contains your printer’s serial number, you may not want to share it.

cant get a model to print correctly - everything is stringy - raft not being laid down correctly - STL that prints just fne on my snapmaker comes out as junk on the cetus - so many settings in the slicer to dial in.

replaced messgae without file

okay - Jason sent me a file - unzip to the root of an SD card & once inserted to the reader on the printer - information / update and after a little while the screen / printer rebooted - initilise now works !

Calebrate functions - and will test a print

I had to wave a magnet against the hall effect sensor behind the extruder. I’ve since added magnets to the side casement of the z rail cover. Though now I see there is documentation regarding moving the extruder gantry inwards which would also move the hall effect sensor closer to the magnet so I’ll be trying that soon.

One thing to check is the filament diameter, for some reason by default it’s set to 1.7mm so if you use non-tiertime filament I believe it’ll be too much flow.

I’ve used hatchbox and some microcenter inland filament just fine but only after I’ve adjusted the filament diameter to 1.75.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you find resolution for your issues - though it doesn’t sound like you’ve experienced any issues yet?