3rd Party Filament

Finally have a new computer that allows me to mess with the custom material profiles, but thats besides the point.

With the Hardened steel .4mm nozzle I have successfully gotten M3D’s PET Carbon to print with awesome results on my UP Mini 2 ES (more than happy to share my settings).

On the down side, ive been messing with trying to get some hatchbox ABS to print for the last 2 hours and seems no matter what I do, i cannot seem to get it to print. Nozzle just jams after printing for about 5 seconds or so and thats as far as i get.

Can you measure the diameter? Could be it’s a bit too thick or too small, in my experience a tolerance of +/- 0.05 mm is required.

1.73mm exactly. measured in multiple spots

That’s very good. Then maybe it is not compatible after all although I think that is rare for ABS. I did have lots of problems with PLA and filled materials.

Did you use the steel nozzle with the ABS? I read somewhere that could give more friction. Also try a lower platform/nozzle height for less back pressure and check if the plastic part with the little bearing on the print head motor gear is on tight. You could use some super glue carefully to retighten it.

finally got it figured out. was printing too hot no matter what temps i tried. finally got it printing like a dream just a tad below manufacturer recommended specs

Just about to order a steel nozzle just for the purpose of printing PET Carbon. I’d love to have a gander at your settings. I too am running a mini 2 es. Thanks in advance…bit of an old thread and all that jazz.

Up Plus 2 PLA issues sorted - Tested various 3rd party filaments. (source - UK)
Fiberlogy EasyPLA, Fillamentum Extrafill PLA, 3dFilaprint PLA, Polymaker Polymax PLA, GoInks PLA.
The only PLA filaments that would print properly were Polymax & GoInks. The others all failed to extrude within a few minutes due to ‘heat creep’ from the extruder even after adding a heat sink and extra fans.

Also tested Polyflex TPU and 3dFilaprint ABS-X, both of which printed fine.
All of the above that printed properly were using the default Tiertime settings for their own material.

I couldn’t find this sort of info so hope it is of use to others.

1 Like

Update: Polymaker Polymax PLA has worked reliably through 2 (750g) reels of filament including some 6 hour prints. There is slight slippage when printing rafts but nothing that caused a failed print. I have just tested Taulman t-glase PETT which printed perfectly. It actually bonded too well to the Flexboard bed when printed without a raft. T-Glase is the best/toughest material I have used so far but it is very expensive. It is clear that the UP Plus 2 is happy with high temperature filaments but very particular about the lower temperature stuff. Polymaker Polyflex TPU has also printed without any issues. Up Plus 2 still going strong and very reliable.

IF PLA is not working, try open the top lid. Usually due to chamber temperature being too high.